I sold 2 items on ebay yesterday. Unfortunately, I discovered this morning that I undercharged for shipping so my profit will be very small. I have 8 similar items currently listed so I went in and revised them all to bump up the shipping charge so that I don't have the same problem again. Oh well, not a huge deal.
Archive for September, 2019
My 6th and final lot of old baseball cards ended tonight for $109.50!
Total sale price for the 6 lots came to $355.11, way more than I expected.
These cards have been packed away in our garage for 25 years. The fact that I was able to easily get that kind of money for them is fantastic.
We recently had our gas meter replaced. We got a letter from the gas company today saying that they routinely test all removed meters for accuracy. They found that ours was registering usage faster than our actual consumption. As a result, they've issued us a credit for $423.61. That's a nice chunk of change and came totally unexpected. I'll take it.
I've now had 4 auctions end for a total of $164.
2 more have bids totaling $71 so at least $235 all together and possibly more if some last minute bidding happens, as it usually does.
I'm quite happy with that. I really didn't know how much the sports cards would bring. It just this moment occurred to me that I also have a binder of somewhat newer cards in the basement that I need to sell. I think those are from the 80s or maybe 90s as opposed to the current ones I'm selling which are late 60s and early 70s but I'm sure they'll still attract buyers. I have to get them out and list them. They're actually in much better condition as I believe whoever owned them (I bought them as part of an auction lot) stored them in protective sleeves. They weren't played with like mine were.
I haven't listed anything new yet. I did get some items out last night and spent some time cleaning them up but didn't actually get to the listing part. Maybe Wednesday as I work all day tomorrow.
My first successful auction ended last night for $22.50. I have 3 more ending today that all have bids and one ending in 3 days that has a bid.
Five items didn't sell and I relisted at a slightly lower price. I have one other active auction that has no bids and I just dropped the price.
I haven't gotten around to listing anything new the past few days. Tonight, I'll pack the things that sold last night and today. Maybe tomorrow I'll start a new item or two.
Back in the spring when I did some serious cleaning in the garage and basement, I realized I really need to start selling on ebay again. We have a lot of stuff that is too good to just give to Goodwill, and, in some cases, isn't even stuff a thrift shop would want. But it's stuff that sells well on ebay. I didn't want to start over the summer because we had various travel planned and I didn't want to have to worry about timing things around all of that.
Now that summer is over, it was time to get down to business. I started listing things last weekend. I don't want to go too crazy at one time because I know I sometimes get overwhelmed when auctions start ending and I have to pack and ship everything so I'm trying to just do an item or two a day. As of now, I've listed 11 items. Three have bids so far.
The main things I'm selling currently are my old sports cards (mostly baseball) that I found while working in the garage. I gathered 2 shoebox-sized containers of cards. I sorted them all by year and listed them in lots by year with anywhere from 200+ to 500+ per lot. Based on 3 lots already having bids, I'm hopeful that all will ultimately sell so that will be 2 shoeboxes worth of stuff that will get out of here.
For the longest time, my wife has complained about the siding being dirty. A couple of years ago I bought some cleaning stuff that you connected to the hose and sprayed on and rinsed off. I did that and also used a brush to work on a few dirtier areas that I could reach safely. It helped some but not a great deal. So we finally hired a pro. It was someone a neighbor had used recently.
They came on Wednesday. The whole process only took about an hour. They washed the whole house and our garage roof. We didn't bother with the house roof as you really can't see that, plus the garage roof had a lot of moss growing on it being lower and under a tree.
I have to admit the house looks great. As for the roof, the treatment they do kills the moss but doesn't remove it (as that could damage the shingles). They said that over the next several weeks the moss will die and fall off. A couple of good rains should help the process.
All together, the job cost $400. We had gotten a few quotes and they were the most reasonable. They said the cleaning should last a couple of years and the roof treatment should last longer. We'll see how true that turns out to be. At least for however long it lasts, we have a nice clean house (on the outside at least LOL).